I know it's been a long time since I've posted and a lot has gone on, but something came to mind tonight and after I talked to Danessa about it, she said I should blog about it...so here I am
At work, I have to videotape some sessions so I can show them at a supervision meeting to show some techniques I've used or to ask questions when dealing with a client. One of the things we have to let the group know is the theme for the family that we are working with. Some of the themes are chaos, kids rule, and lost souls but the theme for Danessa and me is "breaking the mold".
I came to this conclusion because our relationship, and other each other, do not make sense on paper or in any logical sense. Let me start with our relationship.
We have nothing in common and often see things from different points of view. We communicate in completely different ways, making it hard for each other to talk or listen because the other is not making any sense. We have had to fight to stay together and are just now starting to reap some of the fruit we have been sowing for the past 2.5 yrs. In college, we didn't eat together, except for special occasions, because she had her friends and I had mine (which also had nothing in common) and because we were more independent than most. We dated all through college but had little time together because her schedule was during the day and mine was at night. So, we only got to see each other about once a week. Despite that, we knew that we were meant to be with each other...always and forever. We got married and then really got to know each other. After that we went to seminary, even though we weren't sure what we were getting ourselves into. We left seminary after graduation and moved to a place that had nothing for us except that it was where God was directing us. Our entire relationship has all been based on trusting in each other and having faith that God was directing our paths together.
As for us as individuals...
Danessa looks like a sweet, innocent teenage but drops the hammer when she is keeping kids in line or someone disrespects her. She is good at photography and art and enjoys being in the country, gardening, and music. She also likes the younger kids, ranging from birth-4. She likes her alone time. She likes to be spontaneous. She likes to be the rebel.
I look like a jock but am better suited as a nerd/geek than anything. I am good at cooking and evaluation sitations and enjoy the city, playing videogames, and building models. I also like the older kids, starting in their teens. I like hanging out with people...all the time. I like to have a plan. I follow the rules...all of them.
Well, we break the mold. Nothing about our marriage should work but it does and amazingly! I am sure that when we start a family, we will continue to break those molds as well.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sounds similar to us, in some ways. Just goes to show, that when it comes to relationships, there is no over-arching "rule" that dictates the best way to put two people together, which is why there are so many around here who think E-Harmony is silly. Of course, that can work too, but it is not the only way. I know tons of couples who certainly have things in common (namely their love for one another) but also have vastly different personalities, and they seem to be doing just fine!
Of course, then they have kids, the kids grow up, meet new people, and the new people totally can't figure them out until they meet the parents. And then, they go, "Oh, I get it now..." Or at least that's what all my friends did in college to me...
Sounds like a theme of your relationship is "trust."
It's funny. I'd say the same thing about my marriage with Joanna the first two years, but it was because we have the same personalities (introvert, passive aggressive). So, there was a lot of silence and unresolved issues. However, we have both learned to work outside of our comfort zone for the betterment of our marriage. Like you, we want to break the mold of unsuccessful marriages because of lack of communication.
We really are a pair, huh?
I can't even start to imagine how jacked up our kids will be, lol! Fun times. :)
I love you.
I love mold breakers.
And, yes, I'm looking forward to how jacked up your kids will be. It will be awesome.
Post a Comment